A recent article came out on the developments of an act called Safe Schools Improvement Act. This act just gained support from Congress, which is huge because the article also mentions how there are no federal law or policy that requires schools to implement policies on bullying or harassment. While some states have their own rules or ideas about addressing bullying, if any, I think this act could successfully make schools a safer place.
The literature review I did for this class included research on how school avoidance played into kids that were being bullied. The places where they knew bullies would be or where they often hang out would be places that the victims would avoid. Some would even skip school, making them miss out on days or even weeks of education. Schools are the central place for youth to learn social skills and how to interact socially. It should not be a place of fear and avoidance.
So if this act does pass, which it looks like it might, do you think anything will change? Sure there will definitely be programs and strict rules when it comes to bullying and harassment in all schools across the nation, but will they be effective? Some states already have programs regardless of this act, yet there is still bullying out there.
While I do not think this will not change bullying outside of schools or cyberbullying or anything like that, I do think it is important that this act passes. School should not be seen as a place to dread in any other sense besides the fact that it brings the stress of grades and tests. Youth should not be afraid to walk down the halls. I do not see this act as something that will antagonize or make bullies angrier, but as something that will defer them, and hopefully teach them, not to taunt their classmates.
What do you think? Will this act make schools a better place or just make the institution worse? Will this act actually stop bullying in schools?
I don't think it will completely stop bullying, but it might be a start in the right direction. I had never heard of it before, so I'm glad you chose to write about it this week. For a policy class I'm taking, I chose to work on the Mental Health Awareness and Improvement Act of 2013, which I think would work awesome with the bill you talk about here. I've enjoyed reading your blogs Shelby, awesome job!
ReplyDeleteI used to think that schools were a very safe place for kids where they could grow together with kids and learn. However, recently I was having conversation with my co-worker and she told that how her daughter is bullied at school. Her daughter wears a head-scarf as it is what her religion tells her to do and she was bullied after this small thing! This was something which was the 'right' of that kid. No one has the right to stop others from wearing the type of clothes their religion requires (as long as it is appropriate).
ReplyDeleteThis act does provide some hope that bullying, if not stopped, then at least would be reduced in schools. Schooling for younger kids is a very crucial time of their learning. Acts such as bullying should not be hindering their path towards education.