There are three types of people in this world when it comes to bullying, aside from bullies. Those who stand out, those who stand by, and those who stand up. The ones who stand out are the victims. There is something about them that is different that someone else finds to be unacceptable. Next is those who stand by, and those are the ones who witness bullying and do nothing. Lastly, those who stand up are, as noted in this blog, heroes.
Standing up is one of the hardest things for youth to do because that changes their status to standing out, making them a target. Everyone can think of a time when they witnessed someone being bullied, made fun of, or harassed where they did not say anything. Think back on that time and think of the situation you were in. Was it one of your friends being mean to someone else, compromising your loyalty? Was it a popular kid that you did not want on your bad side? There is the constant fear of being made the newest target in school. So how can we prevent bullying with that fear in the back of our minds? Sure, we can teach kids about how not to bully, how to speak up, or how to avoid their attackers, but will they really follow through when we are not around?
As much as I would love to say the problem could be fixed if parents were teaching their kids not to be awful to others, no amount of parenting can really stop this, especially with the hidden cyberbullying that happens every day. Perhaps we can come up with some kind of workshop where they teach kids how to be bold and unafraid of what their peers think so that they can become this helpful bystander in these situations. Do you think that would work? What else do you think might help these kids?
I love this topic because I've written about bullying before and while I was in high school helped start an organization to stop bullying. It's sad to say that it can't be stopped. Many people don't even know that they are doing it. In recent news, there has been talk about the Miami Dolphins two players talking about bullying. Its hard to say that even in the NFL with grown men there is still bullying. How can we tell people to stop bullying when there are people in the spotlight doing it?
ReplyDeleteI also created a post about bullying, moreso cyber bullying. I think bullying is something that is common, but is getting out of hand with this generation and I feel like it can be curved with parental guidance and a lower tolerance for bullying in schools.
ReplyDeleteUnfortuantely when kids become a certain age they have socialized needs to want to fit in and comply, it would be awfully hard to convince them that what their peers think doesn't matter because in adolescence that is an important factor.
Bullying is very big problem in our society today. I think that further education is needed on bullying issues children face in school. I have seen a lot of parents that do not really pay attention to the bullying issue or talk to their child about it because they think it is not a big deal but it really is and does have a major impact on the child. A lot of bullying in school has caused some children to think of suicide or be depressed. Bullying I believe occurs outside of school too and in adults as well. I have notice a couple of time when I am at the mall or some where else and im walking by people they are commenting on others around them on how big they are or how they are walking or what they are wearing. Bullying is a big problem and I think parents and children should be more informed and prepared.
ReplyDeleteBullying is a problem and its getting worse since kids have more access to technology. I am not sure what makes a bully tick but I imagine it would be some sort of insecurity. I agree with you there should be a workshop about bullying. Especially for the kids who are bullied. Often times they feel helpless and forget they can stand up for themselves.
ReplyDeleteThis is a serious problem in today's society. With blogs such as this and other media outlets, bullying is being brought to national attention more and more. Bullying has serious affects on on the victims that can lead to lifetime consequences. I believe that eliminating bullying should start with making it socially unacceptable. With today's youth being very alert to what is socially acceptable, if more effort is put in campaigns to make bullying socially unacceptable, it will greatly help solve the issue. Great example would be more of stories such as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNvOcK6UsIc
ReplyDelete